I am always afraid that people are going to leave me

Max grew up as an only child with a single mother.  Max’s father left his mother before he was born.  Because of this, his mother had to work long hours to provide for both of them.  He often felt like he had to protect her, and that she was unable to be there for him ...

Oct 16

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

It’s not always a good idea to stay together for the children

David and Ann have been married for twelve years and have three children under the age of ten.  David works long hours and comes back home stressed and tired. David and Ann have frequent arguments, and David becomes physically and verbally abusive towards Ann and sometimes the children.  ...

Oct 14

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Divorce / Divorce Adjustment, Ending a ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Processing Failure Effectively

Much deterioration in therapy happens when failure is not processed effectively.

Sep 1

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adult psychological development, ...

Written By:
Dr. Angelo Subida, Psychotherapist

GO

Why do I feel like I am suffocating around my parents?

From time to time, an adult will seek my help because they feel like they can’t breathe around their parents.  The feeling of not being able to breathe could be from anxiety or panic.  Sometimes, we hold our breath without thinking when we are waiting for something to happen, when ...

Aug 28

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Emotional Abuse, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Why Do People Lash Out?

Lashing out can happen for multiple reasons.  Sometimes the person who lashes out feels a temporary release of stress and anger, but might later feel embarrassed or ashamed.  Lashing out can be a response to past trauma, a self-protective response or a way to control and devalue others. ...

Aug 21

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anger Management, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

How can I help my partner overcome past abuse?

If you are in a relationship with someone who has been abused, it can be confusing and sometimes frustrating.  If the person has not been able to resolve the abuse in their mind, they might act in ways that push you away. They might lash out when they are feeling anxious, accuse you of things ...

Aug 17

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Understanding Narcissism

In a certain sense, all of us are born "narcissists." We each carry remnants of our infancy or childhood narcissism. Nothing is as real to us as we feel like the center of the world.

Aug 7

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Emotional Abuse, Family Problems

Written By:

GO

My last relationship was abusive, and now, I struggle to feel safe in ...

After being abused by someone you thought you could trust ...

Aug 7

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Emotional Abuse, ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

Will it ever get any better?

Life includes a certain amount of suffering. Some of the sufferings include rejection, failure, loss and trauma.  When we are going through a difficult time, it can be hard to see the light. When we are depressed or sad, we can only remember the depressed or sad times.  It can be ...

Aug 5

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Anxiety, Depression, Emotional ...

Written By:
Dr Monica Borschel

GO

The Financially-Dependent Wife and Tough Love

”Straighten up or leave,” says Mary to her husband Don. He left. And things still worked out beautifully for her.

Jul 13

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Infidelity, Marital Counseling

Written By:

GO

Must Illness or Trauma Fail You?

In Western medicine, healing is equated only with health. Superficially, it sounds common sense. Logical. Obvious.

Dec 11

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Adult psychological development, ...

Written By:

GO

The #1 Cause of Loneliness

Rita was one confused teenager. After she got sexually molested in school, she won't talk with her mother or sisters.She said, "My Mom can't handle it. What can my sisters do?" Even with her closest friends, she'd rather not talk about it.Over time, the "secret" took ...

Jul 27

Categories: Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues, Relationships & Marriage, ...

Written By:

GO
Page(s)123456